- Home >
- Parent Education >
- Safety >
- Water Safety
- All children regardless of age need to be fully supervised when around water
- Children can drown in as little as 1-2 inches of water
- Swimming pools, lakes, rivers and the ocean are obvious sources of water but you must also be vigilant of bathtubs, buckets/pails, ice chests, toilets, hot tubs, wells and fountains.
- All children age 4 and older should have swimming lessons by a qualified instructor. The American Academy of Pediatrics is no longer against swimming lessons for children age 1-4 but good judgment should be used to your child's development before enrolling.
- Remember that a child that knows how to swim does not mean they are "safe".
- Do not allow children to swim in areas where there are boats, fisherman, large waves, undertows or no lifeguards.
Swimming Pool Rules
- When near a swimming pool it is imperative that rules be followed to keep your child safe.
- Never leave your child alone in or near a pool, even for a few seconds
- If your child is 5 years or younger they should always be within arms reach of you
- Always keep rescue equipment and a telephone near the pool
- Keep toys away from the pool when not in use
- Empty kiddie pools when not in use
- Do not allow any riding toys or bikes around the swimming pool, even with supervision
- No diving into a shallow pool
- No running on the pool deck
- A swimming pool ALWAYS needs a fence around it!
- All pools should have a fence around it including above ground pools and inflatable above ground pools. The only exception to this is a kiddy pool that can be emptied when it is not in use.
- The fence needs to be at least 4 feet high and no more than 4 inches between vertical slats.
- The fence needs to be climb resistant with no hand or footholds that would assist a child in climbing it.
- The gate needs to be well maintained and self closing and self latching. The latch should be at least 54 inches from the ground. The gate should only open away from the pool.
- A pool cover is not a substitute for a fence.